Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Dying A Slow Death


I will give you three guesses as to what this entry is dedicated to. . .




Ever since Season 3 of NXT began, I have been considering just not writing about it anymore in my weekly column over at ProWrestlingPonderings.com. The all-female roster is dreadful. The challenges and obstacle courses make for terrible television. The actual wrestling is no better and the promos are painfully cringe worthy. Worst of all (depending on your point of view I suppose), this ridiculous excuse for a show won't even be on the air shortly. With Smackdown moving back to Syfy at the beginning of October, the network has decided there is no need to keep both shows on board, thus it is dumping NXT in favour of WWE's B-show. You couldn't make up a worst array of reasons not to write about, let alone watch, this crap.

And yet, when I finally forced myself to watch an entire episode of NXT this week, I realised how fascinating it actually is when you break it down. I found there was too much to talk about for my relatively small PWP article. As I said, the show is being pulled from tv and is believed to be moving to an Internet-only format before long. That means only four weeks of a twelve-week season will actually be aired on television, which has essentially lead to near-to-nobody caring about it, including the commentators.

This week's episode began with a recap of the previous week's show, which ended with Michael Cole walking out and just leaving the commentary team, primarily because it was a "joke." From this point on, they were openly admitting that NXT was pure muck. Josh Matthews was alone on the announce desk before he was joined by none other than CM Punk in a tweed jacket, who almost immediately described the show as a "car crash." Pure muck was somehow turned into pure gold momentarily:



The whole thing was incredibly surreal. For the majority of that hour, I couldn't believe I was watching a wrestling show. Yet, for all its craptacular insufferability, it made for great television. I gained far more enjoyment from watching this God awful laughing stock than I ever did watching the usual boring stuff they generally stick on NXT. It would appear that terrible beats mediocre anyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment